Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Town Council
I have spoken to many townsfolk about this, but i will repeat it here for public knowledge

In my past, as mayor of Stormhammer, I attempted to create a council for the town
A group of town leaders, guild leaders, figureheads, and similar denizens.
My intentions for this creation is to help create an equal and fair way to run the town, and to help share valuable information.

So I ask of you all your thoughts on this, who should be on this council, and anything else concerning this subject
I ask you keep these postings civil, and feel free to send me a courier if you're shy or would like to share thoughts privately

There is much work to do in this town, many decisions to be made, the faster we can create a strong united government, the faster we can solve our problems
I will add to the list and say I feel like a merchants guild should be formed and either myself or Durst if he is not busy ( I would say Fierson but she seems to have other affairs going on right now) should lead it.
If I may, I would run the Merchants Guild, as Durst has passed down the responsibility of running the tavern to me.

It would make sense.

Respectfully,
Durst and myself have discussed the Merchant's Cartel
Matters of business and the towns economy should be left to those members of the Cartel
That way we can have a strong spine with our business endeavors and help support one another.

While currently him and myself have decided to recreate it, it is still in its infancy.
A leader need be picked, and business owners need join
This is something I plan on discussing further in another posting.

My apologies for not clearing this up sooner
I second Feliks. His honesty stands tall. He is the best choice I can think of.
In regards to the Wondertorium, I will represent them in this manner.
A Council can be a good way to decide things together and disseminate information, and I'll help in any way I can, but we ought be careful - There are several traps which we ought try to guard against.

In any bureaucracy, there can be an unconscious tendency toward becoming tedious and overwrought, with grandiose debates replacing action. I've seen people become so obsessed with building guild structure and hierarchy that it drove potential members far away, and the guild died under it's own weight.

It's important to remember that we're all working toward common ends - We don't fall into cliques.
It's too easy to say "I'm only sharing this information with members of the XXX guild", or "This is only for House so-and-so".. While that gives a sense of control, it makes it very difficult for new people to feel included, and often ends up with information being lost as people leave town.

We ought to be careful about falling into the trap of "assigning" problems - When people start to break up into groups, it's easy to say "The Mages' Guild will solve this - No need for you to be involved."

In addition to the difficulties for new townsfolk, this can also prevent multiple people from coming together to solve a problem - Sometimes, the Mages might think that something a problem is obviously Magical, so they should "own" it, whereas a clever Scout might be able to sneak in and solve the problem another way.

While I'm sure our townsfolk are most clever, and will easily avoid such problems, it's worth keeping our eyes open.

-Durst
I hope to not run into the same problems. The mages guild will do our best not to do so. But, i agree if were unable to talk openly with all there will be no proper communication. Also to those reading this, do not let this dissuade you from creating groups of like minded people to help each other out. Get together, talk, share information. It just wont be an official guild of sorts is what I believe Aaron is meaning if i can be so bold as to assume. We're all in this together, lets make this town great again.
Besides seeking members for Town Council
This town will also need Marshals to be put into place to help the Magistrate
We will need a Town Scribe, and a Town Captain
And by end of year when things have Stabilized for us, we can hold our first Election for Mayor in the new town

I am considering all those who wish to fulfill these positions
i suggest we vote someone in with experience.